- Click Start , Run , and enter services.msc into the Open field.A services window opens.
- Scroll down the list of services and find Windows Audio.
- Right-click Windows Audio and select Properties .Figure 2: Windows Audio Properties selection
- Select Automatic (if available) from the Startup type dropdown list, and click Start (if available) to start the audio service. If the Start button is grayed out, the Service is already started.Figure 3: Startup type and Service status
- Click OK and test for sound.If sound is now restored, a software program may have disabled Windows Audio or is preventing Windows Audio from automatically starting when Windows opens. If your computer continues to experience no sound after restarting the computer, repeat these steps to re-enable the Windows Audio Service.
- Click Start , right-click My Computer , and select Properties .Figure 4: Properties selection for My Computer
- Click the Hardware tab, and then click the Device Manager button.Figure 5: Device Manager button on the Hardware tab
- In Device Manager, scroll down the list and click the plus sign (+ ) next to Sound, video and game controllers .
- If any item listed under the Sound, video and game controllers category has a speaker icon WITH a red X, right-click that item and select Enable .If you do not see a red X over any speaker icon, skip to the next Step.Figure 6: A sound device that is disabled (the name of the sound device will vary)
- After all sound-related items are enabled, close Device Manager.
- Test for sound. If the computer does not have sound after completing these steps, go to the next step.
- Turn on the computer and press the F1 key repeatedly until a BIOS Setup screen opens.
NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario computers (prior to 2002) press the F10 key instead of F1.
- In the BIOS Setup screen, press the F5 key.
- Select Yes or OK (press the Enter key).Press the F10 key. Select Yes or OK to save the default settings (press the Enter key).
- Start Windows and check for sound. If there is still no sound, go to the next step.
|NOTE:||One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside the HP Web site.|