burg is a brand-new boot loader based on GRUB. It uses a new object format which allows it to be built in a wider range of OS, including Linux/Windows/OSX/Solaris/FreeBSD, etc. It also has a highly configurable menu system which works in both text and graphic mode. In this post we will show you how to install Burg in Ubuntu 11.04 , 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot” and LinuxMint.
- To Install Burg in Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal, Ubuntu 11.10 “Oneiric Ocelot” and LinuxMint, Open termianl and enter the following commands :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/burg sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install burg burg-themes
- Now to make BURG integrate the HardDisk enter the following command in terminal:
sudo burg-install "(hd0)"
Remember to substitute ‘hd0′ with the drive on which your MBR is installed.
- Now update burg:
- Finally, run the following to test and set your theme:
Press F2 To change theme .
Press F3 to change resolution
If you want to use another easy way to configue burg, you need to install Burg- manager, for this check our previuos post.
Here are the hot-keys defined in the boot menu:
- t – Open theme selection menu
- f – Toggle between folding mode
- n – Jump to the next item with the same class
- w – Jump to the next Windows item
- u – Jump to the next Ubuntu item
- e – Edit the command of current boot item
- c – Open a terminal window
- 2 – Open two terminal windows
- h – Display help dialog (only available in sora theme)
- i – Display about dialog (only available in sora theme)
- q – Return to old grub menu
- F5/ctrl-x – Finish edit
- F6 – Switch window in dual terminal mode
- F7 – List the folded boot items
- F8 – Toggle between graphic and text mode
- F9 – shutdown
- F10 – reboot
- ESC – quit from the current popup menu or dialog.