Compiz Tweaks for Ubuntu 11.04 - Applications to Install at First
Before getting started, there are two applications you need to install in Ubuntu. First package is Compizconfig-settings-manager(CCSM) and other one is Ubuntu Tweak.
Enable 'Show Windows from All Workspaces' Compiz Animation
- This is one among the most useful and eyecandy Compiz animation IMO.
- Launch Ubuntu Tweak and select "Compiz Settings" from sidebar.
- From 'Workspace Edge Settings', choose the 'Show Windows' option from drop down menu of the desktop corner of your choice. I like it on the top-right.
- Even though there is a dedicated button on Unity launcher and a keyboard shortcut to enable 'Show All Workspaces' compiz plugin, sometimes it is useful to launch this Compiz animation by simple mouse action. Following is what you need to do.
- Launch Ubuntu Tweak yet again and browse to 'Compiz Settings'.
- From 'Workspace Edge Settings', choose the 'Show Workspaces' option from drop down menu of desktop corner of your choice. Done.
- Unity Launcher is still quite buggy and Dodge Windows or Autohide options won't work nearly as perfect as you expect them to be. This is how you disable Launcher Autohide.
- Launch CCSM(Hit Super key and type CCSM). Select Desktop from sidebar and browse to Ubuntu Unity Plugin.
- You will see the Hide Launcher options, change it from default "Dodge Windows" to "Never". Unity launcher won't Autohide anymore.
- This is something we have already discussed in our article on top things to do after installing Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.
- Launch CCSM yet again(Hit Super key and type CCSM) and browse to Desktop - Ubuntu Unity Plugin. Select 'Experimental' tab and you will see options for enabling panel transparency and changing Unity launcher icon size.
- The Shift Switcher plugin provides the same window switching functionality of normal Application Switcher(Alt + Tab), but with some eyecandy effects namely Flip and Cover.
- Launch CCSM, chose 'Window Management'.
- Enable Shift Switcher plugin(highlighted).
- Shift + Super + Tab is the default key combination, you can change that of course.